The tuition fee for the 2020/21 academic year is £9,250 for UK students.

Paying your fees

Most students choose to take a student loan. If you are taking a student loan, you won’t have to do a thing – the Student Loan Company will pay your fees directly to the training provider / university. For more information, please see the Student Loans section below.

If you decide not to take a student loan, you can pay your tuition fees online, directly to the University of Cumbria. You can pay in full or spread out the cost through a maximum of three installments. To discuss installments, email:

Additional costs

All trainee teachers will need to purchase stationery, course books and personal equipment. Extra costs may also be applicable to cover field trips, membership fees etc.

Trainee teachers are required to fund their travel to and from all course days (including teaching placements).

Student loans

If you are from the UK, you can apply for a loan to help with the cost of university fees. There are two types of loans you may be able to apply for: tuition fee and maintenance loans.

Tuition fee loans

Full time students from the UK can apply for a tuition fee loan up to £9,250 for 2018/19. This is paid directly to the university each year, and is not dependent on your household income.

When applying for your student loan, you will need to contact the relevant student funding authority for the area in which you live. Your loan application is likely to take around 2 months to finalise so it is important to complete your application as soon as possible. We recommend completing your application by the end of May (new students) or June (continuing students) to avoid any delays in receiving your funding.

Apply here:

Maintenance loans

You can apply for a maintenance loan to assist with meeting living costs such as food, accommodation and travel expenses. These are normally paid in three instalments throughout the university year directly to your bank account.

Depending on household income, students may be able to apply for the following amounts in 2018/19 (subject to parliamentary approval):

Living at Home Up to £7,324
Living away from home (outside of London) Up to £8,700
Living away from home (in London) Up to £11,354
Studying abroad (for 1 year) Up to £9,963

You can work out how much of a loan you are entitled to apply for using the Student Finance Calculator:

Repaying your loan

Graduates with a home address in England, who have a student loan, only start repaying their loan the April after graduation and once they earn over £25,000 per year, and then only on the amount above £25,000.

You’ll pay 9% of anything you earn above that amount. If you don’t earn more than the threshold, you won’t pay anything.

Here’s what your monthly repayments could look like:

Annual income before tax Monthly salary Monthly repayment
Up to £25,000 £2,083 £0
£27,000 £2,250 £15
£30,000 £2,500 £37
£35,000 £2,916 £74
£40,000 £3,333 £112

After 30 years, any outstanding loan is written off.

If your home, address is in Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland, visit for more information.

These loans attract interest which is charged at different rates depending on your earnings. For more details on interest rates, please visit the Student Loans Company website. Please note that the terms of student loans are set by the Government rather than the University / training provider.

Financial support

In addition to your training bursary, there is a range of additional funding available to support you in getting your degree.

Additional grants

If you have special circumstances, you may be able to get additional funding to help support you during your course.

For students with children

  • Parents’ Learning Allowance – means-tested on household income. Maximum available £1,669
  • Childcare Grant – means-tested on household income. A maximum of 85% of your weekly childcare costs may be paid on your behalf, up to £164.70 per week for one child and £282.36 per week for two or more children. For example, if childcare for one child is £150, you may receive a £127.50 grant (85% of £150).

For students with adult dependants

  • Adult Dependants’ Grant – means-tested on household income. Maximum available £2,925.

For students with a disability or specific learning difficulty

  • Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA)— students with a disability or specific learning difficulty may be eligible to receive help towards enabling costs; eg non-medical helper, specialist equipment etc.

Armed Forces

  • If you currently serve (or have recently served) within the Armed Forces and wish to enhance your education, then you can receive help covering your funding through the Enhanced Learning Credits Scheme. Find out more.

Support funds

Depending on your circumstances, you might be able to qualify for extra funding. There are a number of different Awards and Funds that might be helpful should you require financial aid.

Visit the University of Cumbria support funds page for more details:

%d bloggers like this: